- Guests must book through DogVacay for their first and all repeat reservations.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that all first time and returning customers book through DogVacay.
- Bookings must be accepted prior to drop-off to ensure coverage and payment.
- Bookings made outside of DogVacay are not covered by DogVacay’s protection plan.
- Accepting cash will result in immediate suspension from the site.
Authorized/Covered Care Providers
- Only those listed on the main account (your name shows in search results and your contact info is released to Guests) are authorized to be primary caregivers for Guest dogs.
- You may not leave Guests alone with other family members or household members during their stay.
- Guest dogs may not be walked or transported (while on Vacay) by anyone other than the primary account holder and requires Guest permission prior to stay.
Minors Providing Services
- Our Protection Policy does not cover services provided by minors.
- Minors cannot independently provide care or services (including walking) to Guest pets.
In-Home and Backyard Supervision
- Make sure to "dog-proof" your home and prepare your family for the added responsibilities of Hosting.
- Keep your counters clear as well, as some dogs will "counter surf" for food or other interesting objects!
- Ask the pet parent about any potentially destructive or aggressive behaviors and if the pup has separation anxiety.
- Host property damage and human injuries are not covered by our Protection Policy.
- Bolting tendencies are common; be very careful as you open and close your door, and be sure to remind your human visitors as well.
- If a dog appears to be anxious, keep them in a separated area or on leash as people are coming and going.
- Guests must be made aware of any resident and/or Guest pets in your home before a Reservation begins.
- Guest pets should be well-supervised, and never left alone with other pets or with children.
- Guest pets may only be crated with the explicit permission of the Guest.
- The duration and frequency of crating should also be discussed with the Guest prior to the Vacay beginning.
- Guest pets should spend most of their time indoors, and all outdoor play should be supervised.
- Use of dog doors should be monitored, and they must be locked when you leave the home.
- Supervised swimming is allowed only with a Guest’s explicit permission, and Guest pets must never be allowed unsupervised near swimming pools (including wading pools) or yard ponds.
Walks & Dog Parks
- Guest dogs must never be allowed off-leash in unenclosed areas.
- The only time a Guest dog should be allowed off leash is if they are indoors or in a properly fenced yard or play area.
- Pay very close attention to behavioral cues as other people and dogs approach. Some dogs are aggressive while on leash.
- Visits to dog parks are allowed only with a Guest’s explicit permission.
- Be sure to discuss behaviors such as interactions with other dogs, tendencies to bolt, and responsiveness to being called.
Destructive Behaviors & Separation Anxiety:
In response to experiencing separation anxiety, some dogs may start acting disruptive or destructive, especially when left alone. Other signs include:
- Urinating, marking and defecating indoors
- Pacing or trying to escape from the house or yard
Having a difficult time with some of your Guest pup's behaviors? Check out our article on separation anxiety!
Aggressive Behaviors & Stress:
When stressed, some dogs can exhibit aggressive behaviors, especially towards other pups. Four situations to look for are:
- Dog introductions - keep them short and neutral
- Food fights - watch for food reactivity and give dogs plenty of space to eat
- Hoarding - remove guarded resources (toys, bed, etc.) and separate the pups involved
- Rough play - keep an eye on body language and give the pups a break, if needed
Want more tips about how to recognize and de-escalate stressed dog behaviors? Check out our support article!
- See our full Protection Policy coverage here.
- Contact DogVacay immediately if you think you may need to seek veterinary attention, or in any other emergency.
- Our Trust & Safety team is on-call 24/7 to offer their support.
- We can be reached at 855-364-8222.