For those months outside of peak travel seasons where you find that your calendar says "Available" more than you like, there are things you can do to get more bookings. From simple online activities to always being prepared to speak to why you're an awesome pet care provider, we've got 5 steps to get you from Available to Booked.
1. Remind your friends, family, and Guests that you're available for overnights, daycare and weekend getaways.
- Everyone knows they need a Host for the holidays, but it's important to remind your current Guests, and everyone you know, that you're available for daycare, day trips, overnights, etc. Shorter stays and daycare are a great way to supplement your business during the off-season.
2. Promote your services on Craigslist.
- Craigslist is an easy-to-use classifieds site that people go to for various services and goods, including pet services. You can create a listing to extend your reach outside of your immediate network to get new Guests! More detailed instructions on how to do this can be found here.
3. Create a Google+ listing.
- Creating a Google+ listing for your profile will not only help extend your reach outside of your existing network, it will also help improve your Google search ranking! For example, if someone searches the terms "dog boarding Santa Monica" those Hosts in Santa Monica with a Google+ page will rank higher in the Google search results. Create one here.
4. Create a listing on Nextdoor.com.
- NextDoor is a private social network just for your neighborhood. You can connect with those neighbors you haven't met yet to let them know there's an awesome pet sitter in the area! You can create a classified ad for your services and even add yourself to the "Recommendations" section under "Pet Services." Create your profile here.
5. Hit up local events and pet friendly businesses.
- Whether it's the local farmers market, neighborhood block party, or a dog friendly event, keep your business cards in hand so you can connect with people who may need your services in the future. Wearing a DogVacay t-shirt is a great conversation starter, and you can buy one here. You will be pleasantly surprised at how many people will stop you while wearing one!
- Identify the pet friendly businesses in your neighborhood and make friends with them! When it comes to pet care, referrals are preferred. Ask your local pet retailers, groomers, vets, and pet friendly restaurants and bars if you can leave flyers for their customers.
- Another great way to find new Guests is to ask pet friendly apartment buildings if you can be included in their new resident move-in packets. Being included in local rescue adoption packets is also an easy way to meet new potential Guests.